Public Works

Tree Dump: Due to people dumping trash and other restricted items at the tree dump, you now must pick up a key at City Hall for access. The Tree Dump is for tree branches/limbs/leaves only. No other dumping allowed. When dumping leaves, please do not leave them in plastic bags. No commercial dumping.

Below is a list of answers to frequently asked questions about Public Works.


Frequently Asked Questions

How can I get a pothole fixed near my house?

Call City Hall at (785) 665-7328

What happens when pavement falls into a really deep hole?

Call City Hall at (785) 665-7328. We will put in a work order and make sure it's not a result of a water line break.

Do I need a permit to build a fence or deck on my property?

You may need a permit for a fence depending on the length. On the deck, if the footprint of the house is not changing and no additional structures are being added, no permit will be required. Call City Hall at (785) 665-7328 to see if you need one for your project.

I'm building a portable shed on runners or a pallet, that will not be permanent structure. Do I need a permit?

No, a permit is not required - But we do ask that you respect code compliance, keep it out of your front or side yard and comply with established setbacks.

I am building a small tool/garden shed in the back yard, do I need a permit?

If it is a permanent structure - Yes.

Will I need a permit to put in a sidewalk or concrete slab?

Possibly - We will need to see where you plan to place the sidewalk or slab.

If putting in a driveway, is there anything I should know?

If you pay for it, the City will help you put in a culvert. It can be added to your Utility Bill.

How do I report a power outage?

You can call Evergy at (800) 544-4857 to report an outage.

How do I report a street light that is out?

You can visit to report a street light that has gone out.

Who is responsible for snow removal?

The City will handle the streets, with the main thouroughfare being the priority. The sidewalks are the responsibility of the home owners or business owners.

There are some traffic signs I can't read very well. Can I get them replaced?

If you notice a faded, damaged, or missing street sign, call City Hall at (785) 665-7328.

Can we close our street for a block party?

Yes - You must make your request to the City Council.

Can I get a street light installed in my neighborhood?

Yes - You must make your request to the City Council. If approved the City Council will send a formal request to Evergy.

When should I set my Waste and Recycling out?

Trash collection day is on Friday. Recycling is every other monday.

Is there anything I should know about trash collection?

Trash is expected to be on the curb by 7:00 a.m. on the day of pickup except on certain holidays(listed below.) Trash should be stored in no larger than a 33 gallon trash container, weighing no more than 40 pounds. Yard trimmings must be no more than 3 feet in length and bundled. Do not set out hazardous materials. You must provide your own Solid Waste Container. The City provides the recycle bin.

Holidays that can affect trash pickup and recycling:

  • New Year's Day
  • Memorial Day
  • Independence Day
  • Thanksgiving
  • Christmas